ALS Clinics and Centers
The Chapter collaborates with some of the best ALS physicians in Oregon to help ensure that people living with ALS have access to specialized care at ALS clinics and ALS certified treatment centers. The ALS Association’s Certified Treatment Centers of Excellence and Recognized Treatment Centers provide compassionate care in a supportive, family-oriented atmosphere.
At our ALS clinics and ALS certified treatment centers, our multidisciplinary care model brings together a team of health care professionals specially trained to address the needs of people living with ALS, allowing them to receive care from each discipline during a single visit. The care team typically includes a neurologist, physical therapist, occupational therapist, respiratory therapist, nurse, dietitian, speech language pathologist, social worker, mental health professional and an ALS Association Chapter liaison.
The ALS Association Certified Treatment Centers of Excellence
Since 1998, The ALS Association’s national network of Certified Treatment Centers of Excellence has provided evidence-based, multidisciplinary ALS care and services in a supportive atmosphere with an emphasis on hope and quality of life. Each ALS clinic must meet The ALS Association’s clinical care and treatment standards, which are based on the American Academy of Neurology (AAN) Practice Parameters, participate in ALS-related research and successfully complete a comprehensive site review to be certified as a center of excellence. Achieving certification through successful completion of the program’s robust clinical and administrative reviews confirms to people living with ALS and their family members the validity and comprehensiveness of the Certified Treatment Center of Excellence’s standards of quality and implementation of best practices.
Community ALS Certified Treatment Centers:
- The Providence ALS Center, Portland OR: 5050 N.E. Hoyt Suite 315 Portland, OR 97213 / 503-215-8580 / Medical Director: Dr. Nicholas Olney & Dr. Tracy Bazan
- The ALS Center at Oregon Health and Sciences University, Portland OR: Center for Health and Healing Building 1, eighth floor, 3303 S. Bond Avenue Portland, OR 97239 / 503-494-5236 / Medical Director: Dr. Nazir Chahin, Dr. Noona Leavell, Dr. Anson Wilks
- The ALS Center at the Portland Veterans Administration Health System, Portland OR: 3710 SW U.S. Veterans Hospital Rd. Portland, OR 97239 / 503-220-8262 / Medical Director: Dr. Noona Leavell
The ALS Association Recognized Treatment Centers
The ALS Association Recognized Treatment Centers have the same high quality approach to multidisciplinary care as The ALS Association Certified Treatment Centers of Excellence; however, they may not offer onsite research or opportunities to participate in clinical trials. Learn more about our Recognized Treatment Centers of Excellence.
Community ALS Clinic Partners:
- Kaiser Permanente Sunnyside Medical Center: 10180 SE Sunnyside Rd. Clackamas, OR 97015 / 503-652-2880 / Medical Director: Dr. Benjamin Koo
- St. Charles Rehabilitation Center: 2200 NE Neff Rd. Suite 200 Bend, OR 97701 / 541-382-3344 / Medical Director: Viviane Ugalde, M.D.